The Farce that is URDU

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Tue Feb 13 23:00:27 UTC 2001

But Hindee is written in a whole four scripts: Perso-Arabic, Devanagari,
Kaithi for its Bihari `dialect' and Mahajani for its Rajasthani `dialect'.
Now, which other language in the world has a whole 4 scripts ?
The official Sanghi linguists who for the past 50 years have claimed that
Kaithi is merely a `derivative' of Devnagari and that Bihari is a dialect of
`Hindi' can for themselves how much they can understand of a manuscript
written in Kaithi:

 **********************
You dont need liguists to claim such things. The different scripts are
mainly a change of font.

Given a few days a speaker could read kaithi and devnagari with equal ease.
I started reading bengali in 2 days with no formal training in the language,
never having read the script before. Since I could speak the language I
guessed half the words at first.
 My gujarati friend has the disavantage of being a non speaker but she can
still read at a slow pace. frequent look up to the alphabet is needed at
times. But it will only be a few days before she picks up speed.
So leave alone hindi all indian languages have a very standard script
system.
Sindhi was also written using a brahmi based scripts like khojki. The
specially modified arabic script for sindhi was designed later.

RB