Late Victorian Holocausts

Arun Gupta suvidya at OPTONLINE.NET
Mon Feb 12 12:19:17 UTC 2001

Two articles from the Observer, the first an article by Mike Davis, a SUNY,
Stony Brook historian :

http://www.observer.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,436495,00.html

about the deadly effect of the British Raj on India

and a review of Mike Davis's book "Late Victorian Holocausts : El Niño,
Famines and the Making of the Third World"

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/history/0,6121,436292,00.html

about the deadly effects of European colonialism, may be of interest.

To quote from the review :

"Late Victorian Holocausts will redefine the way we think about the European
colonial project. After reading this, I defy even the most ardent nationalist
to feel proud of the so-called 'achievements' of empire."

-Arun Gupta