SV: Mystics and Missionaries

Shrinivas Tilak shrinivast at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 11 15:26:48 UTC 2001

Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at ONLINE.NO> wrote

    >Isn't this a rather "conspiratorial" view of mysticism? As far as I can
see, most religions have their mystics, and the relationship between the
mystics and the clergy in general can be quite tense.>

    All world religions (including Hinduism) are (or have been) missionary
religions and most reveal a mystical dimension. Masao Abe ("Buddhism," In
Our Religions edited by Arvind Sharma 1993: 69-138) has proposed a
three-fold typology of missionary activity depending on the degree of
pressure with which the obligation to convert others is felt by those
belonging to a given organized religion--(1) emissary, (2) promissory, and
(3) commissary. (# 1) involves, according to Professor Abe, minimizing the
differences between one's religion and those of others (e.g. Buddhism); (#
2) promises more to the proselyte while emphasizing the difference between
one's religion and those of others (e.g. Christianity); (# 3) places the
followers of a religion under a commission to convert and maximizes its
difference from other religions (e.g. Islam).
     If we accept this typology, all world religions have exerted pressure
of one kind or another to proselytize (including, I presume, coercion and
conspiracy). My interest is in understanding the role played by mystics
affiliated with a given organized religion in that process.
     Hinduism does not figure in the above typology. However, in a personal
conversation Professor Sharma told me that he discussed the issue with
Professor Abe and they concurred that Hinduism may fall under the
"exemplary" category to the extent that it presents a paradigmatic model and
invites others to join in. In that sense its approach is closer to Buddhism.
     Shrinivas Tilak, Dept of Religion, Concordia University
     Montreal, Canada (514) 848 2065; 2069