New interpretation of Yoga Suutra

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 11 10:39:22 UTC 2001

>From: Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM>
>It does. I already pointed out once to YS 2.20-21. Now I quote
>YS 2.22 - k.rtaartha.m prati na.s.tam apy ana.s.ta.m tad, anya-
>saadhaara.natvaat. The *tad* here is d.rzya, which would include
>all "external objects". Note that I have hitherto given only YS
>references, and have nowhere quoted any commentary.

I agree that external objects may be referred, but these are usually
internalized as names, name being the closest mental faculty that represents
external object. Even tatvamasi contains 'tat'. I agree that internal
objects can be 'seen', so the word dRzya may be justified.

I still have a question on 'neutralizing cognition'. Traditionally
commentaries have placed a great emphasis on moral values, hence the mention
of avoiding attraction of external objects, control of senses, neutralizing
of cognition etc. But these items don't stand technical scrutiny. In fact
one can argue other way also.

The sense organs are merely transducers which convert light, sound and
mechanical energy to chemical and electrical signals. It is the buddhi that
handles them which needs to be fixed. So why beat up the sense organs or
cognition? When zruti says "Eye is human wealth", it means the concepts
created by the eye are also human wealth, and the concepts being same as
objects, whatever objects are seen by the eye are also human wealth. So
where is the question of attraction or acquisition when everything is mine?
Also all these attractive or even unattractive things that ones sees are a
creation of jAtavedas etc, which in turn are a form of prANa which is
oneself. So why go after any objects, why not study jAtavedas themselves
instead? So there is actually a case for full development of senses and
cognition than otherwise.

cittav.rttinirodha can not be neutralizing the stimuli within one's own
cognitive apparatus. cit being one of the trio 'sat, cit and Anandam',
playing with cit must be a lot more intelligent than usually portrayed.

Best regards
Bhadraiah