cAkrika and cakkiliyar

Raveen Satkurunathan tawady at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 10 18:49:25 UTC 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 19:37:03 +0000, N. Ganesan <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>>Is Arundathiyar of Tamil Nadu same as Cakkilliar ?
>
>I think their communty sangham is called Arundathiyar sangham.
>
>Read that Sri Lankan kings had been from Madurai Nayak dynasty from
>the book:
>Holt, John, / The religious world of Kirti Sri : Buddhism, art, and
politics
>in late medieval Sri Lanka / John Clifford Holt.
>New York : Oxford University Press, 1996.
>
>Regards,
>N. Ganesan

Noted Sri Lankan historian Lorna Srimathie Dewaraja is considered to be by
many to be the ultimate source in the history of the last three Kings of
kandy who were supposedly of Madurai Nayyakar origin.

"Matrimonial Alliances between Tamilnad and the Sinhalese Royal Family
in the 18th Century and the Establishment of a Madurai Dynasty in Kandy"

was presented by her at the Fourth International Tamil Conference Seminar
January 1974, Jaffna, Sri Lanka and is archived at

http://www.tamilnation.org/cnfJA74/lorna.htm

The accession of Sri Vijaya Rajasimha
Author: K.W. Goonewardene, Date: 1995

Extract from the Sesquicentennial Commemorative Volume of the Royal
Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka 1845-1995

archived at

he says of Lorna's work on kandyan kings

"The first edition was a University of London doctoral dissertation by
L.S. Dewaraja, it was entitled A Study of the Political,
Administrative and Social Structure of the Kandyan Kingdom of.Ceylon,
1707-176a The Second Edition published in 1988 is an expansion of the
first and is entitled The Kandyan Kingdom of Sri Sanka 1707- 1782.
The first edition itself virtually displaced all the earlier writings
as authorities on the subject and had served as an authority for
other scholars to take-off not merely into the history of the period
but also into such inquiries as those with regard to a Sinhala-
Buddhist identity and communal relations at the present day."

following is a bio on her

Lorna Srimathie Dewaraja (Colombo, Sri Lanka)

submitted: 1/23/95 (by mail)

Lorna Srimathie Dewaraja
Doctor
94/2 Lauries Road
Colombo 4, SRI LANKA

ph: 502666

Description of work:
History of South Asia; special interests in history of Sri Lanka; the
Kandyan Kingdom; French interests in Sri Lanka; history of the Muslims in
Sri Lanka; foreign relations of Sri Lanka from ancient to modern times;
spread of Buddhism; third world women and development; women and
religion; position of women in Buddhism with special reference to Sri
Lanka; women in politics with special reference to Sri Lanka and South
Asia; the changing role of the Sangha in Sri Lanka; ethno-nationalism in
South Asia.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/libraries/indiv/area/idsas/DEWARAJA,Lorna.htm