INDOLOGY Digest - 7 Feb 2001 to 8 Feb 2001 (#2001-40)

Dmitri dmitris at PIPELINE.COM
Sat Feb 10 18:03:39 UTC 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:20:20 -0000, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>I would suggest you take another look at the word citta, in
>the terms cittAntara, paracitta etc, in the other three pAdas
>of YS.

-ta is a passive participle forming suffix.
Root cit means (MW 395.2) to percieve, fix mind upon, attend to, observe,
notice, etc.  This is a transitive root.
"That which mind is fixed upon" has a passive participle meaning derived
from transitive "cit".  So what's the problem with it?

As far as agreement with other pAdas, I tried to make SamAdhi PAda coherent
first. The major problem for "citta" as "mind" is I.37.  All rendering of it
that use "mind" meaning are quite a stretch.

>"That which mind is fixed upon" presumes a mind, which
>has not yet been introduced anywhere in the first few sUtras.
YS is anuzAsana not zastra. Therefore, not all concepts are introduced, but
only those, requiring special definition.

>And similarly, also the word pratyaya.
Meaning of pratyaya I use is an analogy with its use in Panini's grammar --
an affix that gives the word its final meaning.
There are many parallels with grammar in YS (quite in agreement with
traditional view of YS's Patanjali being the author of Mahabhazya as well),
so I don't see what's wrong with my rendering of pratyaya -- the final step
in formation of gestalt.

>Other grammar can wait ...
I'd like to hear about other grammar.

Best regards and thanks for comments, Dmitri.