Mystics and Missionaries

Aditya, the Cheerful Hindu Skeptic a018967t at BC.SEFLIN.ORG
Sat Feb 10 21:47:47 UTC 2001

Satya Upadhya <satya_upadhya at HOTMAIL.COM> has written as follows:

>There are  mystics in hinduism as well, and there are  hindu converts in
>North America (caucasian and even sometimes blacks). [Just visit any Hare
>Krishna temple.] Wonder whether your logic applies to hinduism as well.

Surely does.
I remember when HK used to accost at airports dressed in saffron uniform but
now they have decided to adorn regular outfit.

However, there is a difference from the mainline Hinduism which is not a
messianic  religion and therefore no missionaries. A native Hindu can only
be outcasted but not incasted since  there is no concept of conversion to
Hinduism. There is no ritual that can be performed to convert a non-Hindu to
Hinduism. It is only later day messiahs like Dayanand, Ramkrishnand, Mahesh
Yogi and Prabhupad who have adopted western missionary techniques to their
own brand of Hinduism and have been fairly successful.

Let me add that the very first messianic religion, Buddhism,  did originate
in India and it did have missionaries.

Have a peaceful and joyous day.
Aditya Mishra
Primary email: a018967t at bc.seflin.org
Primary homepage: http://www.pompano.net/~aditya
ICQ # 1131674 Phone #: (954)746-0442  Fax # (209)315-8571
Random thought of the day:
        A psychiatrist is a fellow who asks you a lot of expensive questions your wife asks for nothing.  ... Joey Adams