INDOLOGY Digest - 7 Feb 2001 to 8 Feb 2001 (#2001-40)

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 9 20:00:50 UTC 2001

Not again into the mine field (Sanskrit), but this one must be easy.

There was the story of three fishes (kathAsaritsAgaram?): dIrghdarzi,
prAptakAlajna and mandabuddhi who faced the problem of a drying lake. The
first fish plans in advance and escapes to a river; the second one plays a
trick on fishermen and eraches the river; while the third one perishes in
the lake or gets caught. citta, saGkalpa and manas are similar to the three
fish in that order as the three fish.

Please check chAndogya upaniSat. 7.3.1 and 7.5.1 (chAndogya which is part of
Agama, the last of the three valid pramANas as per YS 1.7)

7.3.1 defines manas (commonly translated as mind) as an entity that can view
two objects (two forms of speech) at a time. manas has no further
functionality, so it simply reacts to two or more stimuli and gets dragged
one way or other.

7.4.1 defines saGkalpa (we will get to vikalpa later!)as higher than manas.
What is saGkalpa? It is a determination that "We will tackle it when we come
to it".

7.5.1 defines citta as higher than saGkalpa. citta is an active entity which
has intelligence, consideration etc. advaita Azrama version translates citta
as intelligence.

So cittavRtti nirodham is not just "stopping the mind"; the latter is a
crude procedure which in turn only results in more of vAc (speech) back to
square-2 (square-1 being name).

cittavRtti niridham is avoiding comtemplation, because it is too tiring to
go on using intelligence to trouble-shoot every problem that comes up. So
why not do "meditation" which is the next one explained in 7.6.1 and get rid
of the source of these stimuli? I suppose the sUtras are going as per the
sequence in chAndogya.

(May I know clearly what is the question regarding the dvanda?)

Thanks in advance
Bhadraiah

Home page..
http://homes.acmecity.com/friends/harmonica/301