New interpretation of Yoga Suutra

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at APPLEONLINE.NET
Thu Feb 8 07:49:53 UTC 2001

Dmitri writes

>Derivatives in -tu and in -tA are quite legal way to derive words from
>roots. Examples are dhAtu, vastu and devatA, vIratA.

But they have to be added to the appropriate forms of the stem, not just
any old how--see Macdonell's Sanskrit Grammar paras 182-3, pp.159-166.

>I explicitly assumed that whatever mechanism is present in Sanskrit
>for derivation, it might be present in YS. And the fact that draSTu is
>present in compounds like draSTukAma is an indication that draSTu might
>be a legally derived word.

This is a perfectly regular way of forming a compound with the infinitive
minus final m plus kAma or manas, see Macdonell para 211b, p. 204.

Dr Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK