New interpretation of Yoga Suutra

Kengo Harimoto kharimot at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Thu Feb 8 01:52:39 UTC 2001

Hello List,

In order not to be harsh, just one comment on the new interpretation.

I stopped reading it (yes, I downloaded the file) at 1.3 because:
draSTuH was read as nominative singular.

I would like to ask Dmitri if he considered the possibility that
draSTuH could be draSTR's genitive singular.  (Hint: draSTR appears
four times in the sUtras: 1.3, 2.17, 2.20 (see Vidyasankar's cooment)
and 4.23.)

MMW does not have draSTu (m.) on p. 501, col. 1. nor draSTu as a noun
(p. 501, col. 2), nor the meaning percept, etc.

(Above may appear unclear without looking at Dmitri's work.  I am
referring to it.)

I see him having put so much energy into the work (it is formatted
beautifully), but learning to read Sanksrit by oneself appears to be
quite difficult.

I'm afraid to say that it is full of beginner's mistakes.  (Everyone
who did not learn Sanskrit by the traditional way must remember being
unable to find a word ending -tu(H) or -tA in the dictionaries until
being told by the teacher it is a derivative from -tR in the first
year Sanskrit class.  At least I do :-)

--
kengo