New interpretation of Yoga Suutra

SUBSCRIBE INDOLOGY Dmitri dmitris at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Feb 7 21:53:06 UTC 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:29:08 -0000, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>It is highly prejudicial, to read "unobservable" here, and
>to say that the reading has to be adra.s.taa. The Sanskrit
>terms for unobservable or unobserved would be ad.rzya or
>ad.r.s.ta, not adra.s.taa.

It is not so much a prejudice as it is inaccurate expression on my part.
My rendering would be:

1. adra.s.tu -- that which has produced no impression
2. ad.rzya -- that which cannot be observed

1. means that one tried to see, what the sensory stimulation came from,
   but cannot grasp, or form percept of it.
   The thing to be percieved might be percieved but the subject is
   in such state that no percept is formed.

2. means the  thing to be percieved is out of sight or is invisible,
  so the reason of non-perception is in the thing to-be-percieved, not
  in the state of the subject, like in 1.

Hope it clarifies it.

Best regards,
              Dmitri.