Did IVC have low-intensity wars?

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 6 01:49:07 UTC 2001

<vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
>[...] in pre-Pallava times, it was "indigenous priests" in
>contradistinction to Brahmins were the mainstay of priesthood.
[...]
>So if Vaiyapuri Pillai is to be belived, it looks like brahmins had become
>well established by CT time. Any comments?

Kamil Zvelebil in "Companion Studies to The History of
Tamil Literature", 1992, p. 29:
"Finally, there was the level representing the elite strata: the
rulers, their minstrels and bards, priesthood, administrative
apparatus, warriors. Fundamentally, they were closely connected
with the land-owning ‘middle’ section of the national culture.
‘Sanskritization’ and ‘Brahminization’ of the ruling elite must
have been rather thin, not at all very strong at that period;
however, even our earliest textual evidence shows that it was
never quite absent, although there was, too, a strong influence
of Jainism/Buddhism."

George L. Hart begins his "Woman and the Sacred in Ancient
Tamilnad", JAS, XXXII, 2 with the statement:
"We possess in ancient Tamil a large body poetry which antedates
for all intents and purposes the incursion of Sanskrit culture
into Tamilnad."

Best wishes,
V. Iyer