Urdu,Hindi,and Sanskrit

rohan.oberoi at CORNELL.EDU rohan.oberoi at CORNELL.EDU
Sun Feb 4 17:14:07 UTC 2001

That's an interesting perspective.  Now that you put it that way, it
seems the way knowledge of the Urdu script has been utterly
marginalised in India since independence has helped to cut people off
from the literature associated with the period of Mughal rule.  If
people cannot read Dagh or Ghalib, even though they could very easily
if it were transliterated into Devanagari, it's easy for them to
dismiss the period of Muslim rule in India as a time of barren
oppression rather than the hugely influential part of India's cultural
heritage that it was.

Mandating six months instruction in the Urdu script to any child who
reads or studies Hindi (as most do) could have remedied that.  It
seems the Hinduising establishment made a conscious decision to cut
people off from this heritage, and I suspect the growing virulence of
anti-Muslim prejudice in India today (much of it justified by angry
rhetoric about the period of Muslim rule, rather than by anything in
the present time) can be laid at the door of this.

Regards,
Rohan.