Cakra-varti Rajah

Bjarte Kaldhol bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO
Fri Feb 2 17:27:18 UTC 2001

Those interested in these and similar speculations might enjoy reading an
article by Gordon Whittaker in GOETTINGER BEITRAEGE ZUR SPRACHWISSENSCHAFT,
Heft 1, Goettingen 1998, entitled "Traces of an Early Indo-European
Language in Southern Mesopotamia". Whittaker attempts to show that the
Sumerians were preceded by an IE people in the area. He connects Sumerian
UMBIN, "wheel", with Sanscrit nabhi-, "navel", and OHG naba-, "wheel hub",
and Sumerian GIGIR(A), "chariot, wagon", with PIE *kwekwlo- and Skt.
cakra-. Some other parallels are:

AB, "sea", Skt. ap-
TEMEN, "foundation, cornerstone", Skt. dha:man-
DIRIG, "glide away", Skt. dhrajati
MAH(A), "great, grand", Skt. maha-
PA(TE), "lord, ruler", Skt. pati-

A similar attempt has been made by Douglas R. Frayne in "Indo-Europeans and
Sumerians: Evidence for their Linguistic Contacts" in BCSMS, 25, 1993.
Frayne relates Sum. TEMEN to Greek temenos and GIGIR to *kwekwlo- and
cakra-.

Best wishes,
Bjarte Kaldhol,
Oslo