Hindi/Sanskrit/Urdu

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 2 14:14:38 UTC 2001

> It is the East India Co. and Gilchrist which invented `Hindi' and
>`Hindustani' as a Sanskritised form of Urdu. They and the pundits referred
>to these as `Hindee' and `Hindoostanee'.

 In some book, I read that the  sanskritized high Hindi is called RaghuvIri,
 named after the Chairman of the Commission that created official
 Hindi for administrtative purposes like radio. It was in Pundit Nehru times.

 Regards,
 SM