Query: Did classical Indian philosophers revise their works?

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 19 08:46:24 UTC 2001

To really proof a revision we would need, as Kengo
observes, two subsequent autographs of a work. Does
anyone know of proven autographs (even just single
ones)? They cannot be expected except for relatively
late authors, or in case a manuscript has escaped the
Indian unfavorable climatic conditions for long
preservation (e.g. those which went into Tibetan
collections).
Though not a work on philosophy, it has been suggested
on the basis of the then available evidence that the
Dharma-Caurya-Rasaayana was an autograph (Aklujkar in
Palsule felicitation, 1996). As I argue in a
forthcoming review of A. Passi's new edition and
Italian translation of this work (Milano, 2001), the
manuscript evidence reported by Passi forces us to
give up the theory of scribe=author and
manuscript=autograph, although this is not the
conclusion drawn by Passi himself.
Jan Houben