G.G.L.Swamy

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Fri Dec 7 10:17:33 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues,
In a message of some days ago mention was made of an article by B.G.L. Swamy
about the date of the Tolkappiyam. The only other publication of that
scholar with which I am familiar is an article on Tamil Shaiva Bhakti
poetry. As I have tried to show in my book Kavya in South India. Old Tamil
Cankam Poetry (Groningen: Egbert Forsten, 2001) his handling of the evidence
concerning the -late- date of Tamil Bhakti poetry is exemplary. Francois
Gros' characterization of Dr. B.G.L. Swamy as an iconoclast is undeserved.
Can anyone provide me with more information about this unique scholar.

Herman Tieken
Instituut Kern
University of Leiden