Bhaagavata-puraa.na commentary MS

Edwin F. Bryant edbryant at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Thu Dec 6 18:06:04 UTC 2001

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2001, at 7:55, George Hart wrote:
>
> > You have not mentioned the script your manuscript is written in.  That
> > might help identify it.
>
> You are right, thank you for pointing it out.  The script is
> Devanagari; the MS is from the area around Varanasi and most
> likely written in the first half of the 19th century.

Varanasi might be a useful clue: I would check Vallabh sources if Sridhara
and the Gaudiya and sources you mention have proved fruitless.  They are a
Vaishnava community that have maintained a distinct presence in Varanasi
(unlike the Gaudiyas) and dominate a surprisingly large area of the city
around the thriving Gopalji Mandir in the heart of the city (containing the
Vallabhi's 2nd or maybe 3rd most important deity).

Edwin Bryant.