[ADMIN] Closing INDOLOGY

Raveen Satkurunathan tawady at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 16 23:47:36 UTC 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:04:51 +0200, Ferenc Ruzsa <f_ruzsa at LUDENS.ELTE.HU>
wrote:

>I agree that a radical step was unavoidable.
>But why not a thorough reform instead? E. g. a closed list for serious
>scholars, but open for everyone to read? Please, reconsider.

Yahoo groups will allow you to do that. As a 'moderator' of a group which
has now over 1,700 members and another at 405 I can say that by allowing
only members to post and keeping the archive open to public viewing
decreases the noise to signal ratio considerably. There were days of over
10,000 hits in one my email groups due to a link appearing in a prominent
news paper.

The only hard work is in approving the 'right kind of members'. Once it is
done the group will function on its own. No need to moderate mails on a
daily basis.  Further if valuable articles of this soon to be closed email
list are to be archived then there are many free websites, which will
archive them for you.  The following egroup is a good source for anyone
needing information on anything to do with email groups :-)