Staal on Baudhayana

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Apr 10 21:59:07 UTC 2001

Prof. Staal has written as follows (apparently this is not in print, I'm
afraid):
\begin{quote}
Your memory is so excellent! However, that comment was made by Professor
Sylvain Bromberger at MIT, a brilliant philosopher very close to the
Chomsky crowd who had asked me how the Indians expressed the theorem. I
wrote to Hayashi what he thought of it and he said it was certainly true
that it could be interpreted thus but that the only interpretations he had
come across were with regard to squares.

It seems unlikely, then (though Takao is may be too careful a philologist
to have taken that step!) that the Indians thought of other polygons or
half-circles. Would be fascinating to find evidence.
\end{quote}

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.