Etymology of sanskrit roots miS and miil

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 9 14:17:08 UTC 2001

Drav. m-/v- is common: maNNAn (malayalam) and vaNNAn (tamil) 'washerman'.
maNNAn < maNNutal 'to wash'
K. Zvelebil, Dravidian linguistics: An introduction, 1990, p.10
"Intervocalic and initial m and v are in contrast. However, they
also are in widespread alternation in the southern group of languages.
Doublets exist in many languages to a great degree; it is often
"difficult to ascertain which of the two is historically original"
(Krishnamurti 1961, p.43). Cf. Tamil vatuvai; KannaDa mada 'wedding'
(DEDR 4694; this indicates that the authors of DEDR would rather
consider the *m- original); Tamil kaval 'be troubled': telugu gamanamu
'attention' (DEDR 1328; *-v- original?). Zvelebil quotes instances
which show that this m/v 'confusion' continues in Tamil dialects
(and even in the literary norm, cf. Tamil vAn2am:mAn2am 'sky',
vIcai:mIcai moustache; in addition, it occurs in loanwords,
cf. Skt mRga > Tamil mirukam/virukam 'animal').
For details, see Zvelebil, CDP 1970, 125-8.)"

Are the m-/v- word-initial changes common in IE?
For example, are European words like vision, video
related to miS,mIl? Or, they are independent??

Regards,
SM