RAJARAM EPISODE

Arun Gupta suvidya at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Sep 30 13:24:05 UTC 2000

Regarding Ms. Romila Thapar and her JNU colleagues,
I find that Koenraad Elst, in his "Ayodhya and After",
writes that the indologist Dr. Iravatham Mahadevan
in a lecture in Madras on December 4, 1990 (as reported
by the Indian Express) held the JNU historians guilty
of the political abuse of history.

Regarding tarring and feathering these academics,
I find that it has already been done in Arun Shourie's
book "Eminent Historians: Their Technology, Their
Line, Their Fraud".  See, for example,

http://www.secularindia.com/leftdistortsArunShourie.htm

So, I do not think I have to say more on this.

Regarding the Frontline article, I was a little disappointed
in that it did not touch upon that issue, which in me,
reawoke interest in the events of 2000 BC, and that is the
possible connections between the dried up Ghaggar/Hakra/Sarasvati,
the Sarasvati river in the Rig Veda and the Sarasvati river in
the Mahabharata.  Are these three actually one and the same,
and, if so, how does it fit in the chronology.  Maybe, they will
address it in a follow-up article.

There is also a potential confusion for some readers :

Quote :

A second finding pertains to shared loan words in the Rigveda and Zoroastrian
texts referring to agricultural products, animals, and domestic goods that we
know from archaeology first appeared in Bactria-Margiana c. 2100-1700 BCE.
These include, among others, words for camel (uSTra/ushtra), donkey (khara
xara), and bricks (iSTakaa/ishtiia, ishtuua).

End quote.

As a picture accompanying the article clearly shows, the Harappans had bricks
long before 2100 BCE, so one has to do a second take on the first sentence.

-arun gupta