SV: Classical languages of India

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 30 12:07:55 UTC 2000

'>'>'     Grammatical works like Tholkaappiyam,
'>'>'    musical works etc. There are no works like Thevaaram
'>'>'    and Thiruvaasagam
'>'>     and Alvaar's songs in Sanskrit.

TolkAppiyam is unique in its third part: the "poruL"
chapter where the poetics of sangam period is given.
The "uLLuRai", "iRaicci" are predecessors to the
dhvani theory of Anandavardhana et al., Dividing secular
life into akam/puRam divisions in unknown elsewhere.

I do not know any thing comparable to the bhakti corpus
of Tamil done so early and, which is behind the entire
bhakti mass movement of the whole India, as acknowledged by
Sanskrit sources themselves.

Sincerely,
V. Iyer