Hindu women's caste status

Hemananda.B.P bipahena at REDIFFMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 25 17:23:26 UTC 2000

     DR.Richa Puranik asked

>Is a Hindu woman considered to  >be 'reborn' at the time of her marriage?
>If yes, is she 'reborn' into her husband's caste?
>If her birth-caste is different from the caste of the >family she is
>marrying into, what is her own caste after marriage?

      I am not having good idea about this concept of rebirth after marriage.First thing is that intercaste marriage   itself unusual to Indian caste system.
      Some finger countable examples are found in puranas. One that I can remember immidiately is of Yayaati{Ksatriya} and Devayaani{Brahmin,daughter of Shukracharya} marriage.But this period is said to be  transition period during which caste system was becoming stabalized.
       If this story is taken as example then we have to say that after marriage Devayaani is a Kshatriya lady.It is usual that in male dominant society women will bear the social identity of Their spouse.
        But rebirth is not such common attitude.My knowledge is very less to speak about this.As far as my knowledge is concern it is not so.

                       Hemananda Bisembli Pakeerappa.