Maharaja Jaisingh II Should Get World-Wide Recognition For His Contribution to Science

Anand M. Sharan asharan at ENGR.MUN.CA
Sun Sep 24 17:53:30 UTC 2000

Maharaja lived in the turbulent times , in the court of Mohammad Shah, the
Moghal King's time. That kingdom was on decline, but the Maharaja performed
wonders as a scientist ( astronomer ) by building Sun Dials, and
astronomical observatories . The first one was built in Delhi in the year
1724 . It was about the measurement of time, that was being discussed in
the Moghal King's court . He called his sundial - Jantar Mantar , a sort of
magic by which one could see the time so accurately . His development was
independent of any other .

At least in India,  he should serve as a source of inspiration to the
children, and about whom all Indians should know.

He built other Jantar Mantars at Jaipur, Ujjain ( he was the governor
there ) , Varanasi, Mathura .

Finally, they should not damage his Jantar Mantar at Delhi when they are
going to build the under - ground train ( I think, I read this in one of
the newspapers ) .

Thanks.

Anand M. Sharan