Mahabharata date. Was: Iron Age in India

Anand M. Sharan asharan at ENGR.MUN.CA
Fri Sep 22 09:37:17 UTC 2000

In my last posting, I had indicated the drying up of the Saraswati river
around 1700 BCE, and that the Mahabharata War took place before that based
on the description in Mahabharata, about Balram's pilgrimage along the
Saraswati river. I had also mentioned about Fitzgerald's work on the use of
iron during the War. I had mentioned other instances where the use of iron
is mentioned.
I have read another source about dating the Mahabharata based on the
planetary configuration. It gives the date of starting of the War on Nov.
22, 3067 BCE ( I will try to post the details on a web site shortly -
within a few days ) . Therefore, considering any of these sources- drying
up of the Saraswati river,  and the planetary configuarations, one can say
that the Iron Age in India was far older than previously believed .

Thanks.

Anand M. Sharan