[d-l] "Buddha" before the Pali Canon? (fwd)

Anand M. Sharan asharan at ENGR.MUN.CA
Thu Sep 21 12:29:31 UTC 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:56:37 -0400, Phillip Ernest
<phillip.ernest at UTORONTO.CA> wrote:

> [...]
http://quantrum.com.my/sadhu/

What language Buddha spoke while giving his sermons, has certainly came as
a surprise to me. He wandered for twelve years in Magadh . It is well known
that his movement and ideas were against the established religion (
Hinduism ) at that time. As a matter of fact, he went to the Jain, as well
as Hindu Centers ( Gaya ) to know more about the truth which he was
searching for . His sermons were for common masses which spoke Magadhi (
Magahi ) then, and now . I have mentioned in one of the postings earlier,
various dialacts spoken in that area. No one knows Pali there . Ashoka's
edicts are also in Magadhi .
At Lumbini, I have seen Ashoka's message in the Mayadevi ( Bus\ddha's
mother ) written in Brahmi script . That would give clue as to what was the
language spoken in that area. At Kapilvastu ( his palace ) , I could only
see the remains of the palace but no museum etc . I was surprised that it
had not been given sufficient importance .

Thanks.

Anand M. Sharan