Walking Buddha

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 21 17:28:30 UTC 2000

 Are there any walking buddhas who are depicted over the lotus?
 In painting or bronze. Thailand??

 Nanda Chandran on Sep. 19,
 >Ofcourse, Gautama on being born - standing up and walking eight steps
 >and declaring himself to be the savior of the world and VishvAmitra
 >teaching him the GAyathri mantram might be pure fantasy.
 I see Ramayana in that posting, is this "walking buddha" myth
 from R.? Which chapter?

 In "Thirukkural and Buddhism" thread, A. Aklujkar wrote:
 <Why is walking taken as meaning sitting/seating?  Is there any account of
 the Buddha walking on lotuses?>. Thiruvalluvar says God is one who
 walked on (lotus) flowers - "malar micai Ekin2An2", the poet made
 his first chapter on God general. So general, For example, "a.ra aa_li"
 could refer to the Buddhist dharma wheel, "tirukkuRaL and Buddhism"
 (8-nov-97):
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9711&L=indology&P=R3662

 Hence: Any Buddha in art who are depicted walking
 over flowers? In Thailand or India or elsewhere.

 Thanks,
 SM