"Buddha" before the Pali Canon?

Ramalingam Shanmugalingam AppuArchie at NETZERO.NET
Tue Sep 19 11:04:48 UTC 2000

Religion in the wrong hands can be more dangerous than opium products.
Buddhism of the "self-centered and arrogant, concealing self-aggrandizement
behind a facade of "social service"" Buddhist Monks who wield enough
influence to corrupt the Sinhala political leaders much to the detriment of
Buddhism.Religious power lies in the continuing, generating, developing and
assimilating acts of individuals based on faith. Buddhism is attributed to
one Buddha's power. Whether such a genius existed or not is hard to
establish to the full satisfaction of the human five senses. Nevertheless,
Buddhism has existed for centuries according to Tamil literature in Tamil
Nadu.

In the Saint Manikkavasagar's works, it is noted that a King of Ceylon with
his dumb daughter visited Chidambaram (Famous Siva temple in Tamil Nadu)
accompanied by a Buddhist High Priest and an entourage of Buddhist Monks to
meet Tamil Saiva dignitaries and defeat them in a debate. Saint
Manikkavasagar led the Saiva debate team that took place in the temple in
the presence of the Chola King. Saivites won the debate and the Buddhists
became abusive and ridiculed Saivism. The Saint led a prayer and seizing the
opportunity the King from Ceylon requested the Saint to make his dumb
daughter speak. Saint not only cured her affliction but she could answer
some of the questions posed earlier. The King thereafter embraced Saivism.

"To err is human", therefore a perfect God could not have created these
imperfect humans. Faltering humans created religious Gods that helped many
to act with restraint. However, in the light of technological power and
Globalization of material gains, cultural and religious fervent exponents
will carry this to an extent that will lead to future clashes. The
establishment of the US Commission on Religious Freedom by an act of
Congress does not auger well for the independence of religions from state
interference within and outside the US.

Every religion is bent on establishing its superiority over others and not
the power and glory of the "Ageless, Endless and the Effulgent Source of
Energy" (THIRUVEMPAVAI) or "God is Love" truth that makes us the LIVING
humans. Saint Manikkavasagar is no exception to this human weakness
expressed in "ACHAPPATTU - Ten Verses on Fear"

"I fear not the anthill snake
        I fear not the truth of the untrue
        He is my Lord of the lumpy locks
        With the third Cyclops eye
        I seek his footsteps
        I fear them who sustain the existence
        Of another God and not learnt of My Lord."