Mahabharata date. Was: Iron Age in India

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Mon Sep 18 14:31:59 UTC 2000

This dating of the Mahabharata is predicated on the assumption that
the Sarasvati dried out in 1700 B.C. The assumption, however, is
questionable as shown by Rafique Mughal's early and pioneering work
on the dense archaeological sites along the old Sarasvati
river--Mughal concludes that the final drying up took place late in
the 2nd millennium BC or even early 1st millennium.  See also
Possehl's more recent summary in "Indus Age: The beginnings".   Here
as elsewhere it would be desirable to use sounder -- and more
critical -- philological methodology before accepting ideologically
inspired interpretations of the South Asian past, no matter what the
ideology.

Off the soapbox and back to work!  (That's an instruction to myself.)

Hans Henrich Hock

--

Hans Henrich Hock, Director
Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
e-mail hhhock at staff.uiuc.edu
***Visit our website at:
           http://www.uiuc.edu/providers/psames/