Part II : Iron Age in India Comparable to Those in Turkey - A Possibility

Anand M. Sharan asharan at ENGR.MUN.CA
Mon Sep 11 23:37:50 UTC 2000

I have posted the Part I where I have indicated that Iron was being in use
in the days of Mahabharat . The date of Mahabharat was estimated to be
earlier than 1700 BCE i.e. begore the Saraswati river dried out .

With the revised dates of events about the Hitites, which have been moved
to later years by a few centuries, there does not appear to be any gap
between the use of iron between India, and Turkey or any other neighbouring
countries.

There are a few reasons for it -

1. The bronze technology was quite well developed in the Indus Valley.

2. There were migrations from the Indus Valley to other places within India
where the source of iron was.

3. There was trade between India, Iraq, Egypt ( Some of the mummies had
clothes made of Indian Cotton )  during the beginning of iron age in those
countries . Hence, it was normal to have the technologies transferred, if
those areas were better off in technology .

4. The furnaces which were used for bronze making, could also be used for
iron smelting.

5. India had much richer, and abudant source of iron . It was quite
possible that this technological leap happened in India .

I would welcome any comments on these points.

Thanks.

Anand M. Sharan