Sanskrit and PIE

Anand M. Sharan asharan at ENGR.MUN.CA
Fri Sep 8 20:24:17 UTC 2000

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 19:51:08 +0100, Arun Gupta <suvidya at WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
wrote:

>What does the revision of the dates of the Hittites do to the history of
>iron-working technology ?
>
>E.g., quoting the Britannica ( apologies to all for doing this ) :
>
>"Certainly by 1400 BC in Anatolia, iron was assuming considerable
>importance, and by 1200-1000 BC it was being fashioned on quite a large
>scale into weapons, initially dagger blades. For this reason, 1200 BC has
>been taken as the beginning of the Iron Age."
>
>We find iron objects in China from around 700 BC, supposedly. If it was
>theorized that the technology migrated from West to East, then you have cut
>down the migration time from around 500 years to around 200 years, by
>revising the Hittite time line.
>
>That is, if the Anatolian dates are not established by independent physical
>evidence and are established via the Egyptian and/or Assyrian chronologies.
>

>-arun gupta

Dr. Gupta:

             Iron making was reported to be around 1200 BCE in the
following reference:

Biswas A. K.  1996  - Minerals and Metals in India .

So, it did not take that long , if at all , for iron making to travel from
the west to east .

The metallurgy in India was fairly well developed by the dates you mention
about Hitites .

Regards,
Anand M. Sharan