ulUkhala (was pie/sanskrit)

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 8 13:36:35 UTC 2000

>There  are terms in Rv which are clearly non-IE: ulukhala.
>Then, Indo-Iranian maksi is believed to be borrowed from the Finno-Ugric.

M. Witzel, Section 1.6, Dravidian in the Middle and Late RV,
in Substrate languages in Old IA, EJVS, 5-1, 1999, p. 17
"ulUkhala 1.28 'mortar' DEDR 672 Tam. ulukkai, Kan. olake,
Ko.dagu o.lake, and Kota o.lka, o.lkal kal '(stone) mortar',
Malto lo_ra 'stone to grind spices' (S. Palaniappan, by letter);
EWA I 231 'problematic'; cf. Zvelebil 1990: 79 with lit., Kuiper
1991: 14, 41 'still unexplained', compares loan words with prefix
u-; any connection with khala 'threshing floor' RV 10.48.7?".

Pl. see my posting on 8th July 2000, titled
Husking platform, Pestle-and-Mortar sign, and ulUkhala.
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind0007&L=indology&P=R8196&D=1&H=0&O=D&T=1

Regards,
N. Ganesan