Sanskrit and PIE

Heike Boedeker boedeker at NETCOLOGNE.DE
Thu Sep 7 07:49:50 UTC 2000

At Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:49:33 +0100,  Arun Gupta <suvidya at WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
wrote:
>Either the RV people did not encounter any significant number of
>non-Indo-Europeans for any significant period of time before composition
>of the RV,

Not necessarily: this assumed that groups of speakers met as if they were
individual persons (which, of course, is the Bion'ian identification of the
group with the mother's body) who then as a rule exchanged linguistic
elements and/or structures, just as people otherwise exchange greetings,
goods, influenza viruses, whatever.

>or the RV people had some exceptionally strong protection of language in
>their culture that kept them from borrowing from non-Indo-European
>languages after such encounters.

Likewise not necessarily: it merely means "they" (to accept this shortcut
for the time being) didn't engage in interactions with identifiable non-IE
speaking groups which had left linguistic traces (i.e. it does not mean
they needn't have had any such interactions...).

>Other Indo-European language incursions into much more urbanized and
>smaller non-IE areas (e.g. Hittite) show the influence of non-IE.

The Hittites, or actually the Anatolian branch, had quite an exceptional
love of "going native" (very much more than the Greeks which had been
mentioned on this list in similar contexts), and esp. the Hittites had been
exposed to Mesopotamian types of culture where they i.a. picked up a ductus
of cuneiform writing close to Old Babylonian before they moved north
towards their classical habitats in Anatolia, then being forced to use
writing on a larger scale, but also e.g. in their way of writing history
displaying a style of their own which meets our present-day criteria of
accurateness very much better.

>It seems incredible that Indo-Aryans could have effected a total language
>replacement over a much wider area, much less urban area, much larger
>population without any effect on their language unless possibility 3. or
>possibility 5. applies.

Why not simply go with what is historically attested? Namely that there is
no such cultural continuity as in the Hittite case? The IAs needen't have
behaved like the Hittites, or even at least like the Greeks, simply because
they were speakers of a IE lg! It also isn't just enough to point out that
Hattic, Minoan or the IVC were "superior cultures", obviously the IVC
simply didn't impress them too much (for whatever reason, and be it that it
with the climate becoming dryer around 1800 BCE was on the decline anyway).

>But if possibility 5. applies, I-E language must have been in India for a
>very long time before the RV period -- the Indus Valley civilization must
>have had as dominant language an I-E language, say from 3000 BC.

I guess this is more of opening a family-size can of worms because it means
asking what IE means at various stages in combination with a Joh. Nichols
type of spread-over-previous-spread idea. It allows for a regressus ad
infinitum of PIE, Pre-PIE, Pre-PPIE etc. etc. Apart from the fact that it
methodologically is anachronistic to recur to such a Schmidt'ian type of
wave theory.

>Then the original IE homeland moves closer to India -- not exactly OIT,
>but the OIT folks will be satisfied if IVC was I-E.

Again: not necessarily... to stay with Nichols' scenario, spread centers
may shift, e.g. from IE via Iranian to Turkic and Mongolian, whereby she
even dares to speculate whether a Pre-IE spread might have been Kartvelian
(Linguistic Diversity in Space and Time, p.313, Fn. 3). Whereby, in a sense
then, of course, the ultimate IE spread center would be Western Iranian,
which gave the recent thread on Urdu/Hindi a nicely ironic spin... though,
on a  more serious note, nicely illustrating what such an armchair model
really might mean. On the other hand, I think, if we want to halfway
intelligently speculate on cultural correlates, we should have a closer
look at the South West and South East Asian centers of "Neolithic
Revolutions", while in Central Asia there wasn't so much happening, which
might have constantly supplied the "superior cultures" at the Eurasian
"fringes" with constant waves of "fresh immigrants" (please note that I'm
not simply endorsing the Gamqreli3e-Ivanov scenario). Also typologically,
as a rule, agriculturalists do not develop out of nomads, just as nomads
(both in the Central Asian and Ancient Near Eastern case) tend to remain
vitally dependent on neighboring agriculturalists. Further, e.g. the mere
fact that Kurgan I (btw, for a barbarian wild steppe bunch quite remarkably
able for coexistance with late Dnepr-Donec and Pre-Cucuteni III) had
domesticated horses does not warrant an assumption like that there was a
nomadic confederation like those very much later on including Iranian,
Turkic and Mongolian peoples, not to speak of that they were IE speaking,
or even that PIE originated as a "koiné of the steppes".

All the best,

Heike