IS IT THE TIME TO COME UP WITH A NEW CONSTITUTION FOR INDIA ?

Francis Parmar, S. J. xacobad at WILNETONLINE.NET
Tue Sep 5 02:28:21 UTC 2000

Dear Mr. Sharan,
It is true that the present government has failed to maintain the rule of
law in the country.  However, that is not due to lack of provisions in the
Constitutions of India, but rather due to a lack of political will to do
anything.  Clear guidelines of the Constitutions are flaunted every day.
The government has found a good scape-goat in the form of the Constitution.
It seems to be saying that all will be well when the Constitutions will be
changed!  The Constitution has not failed, we have failed our Constitution.
In the state of Gujarat where I live, we have the same party ruling as in
the centre.  Yet the break down of the rule of law is quite shocking.  The
anti-minorities' stance of the so called Sangh Parivar seems to be receiving
a governmental support.  When places of worship are being torched, members
of the minorities are being systematically harassed and intimidated, all
that the Prime Minister can utter is to have a national debate on
Conversions!  When bomb blasts take place, the same government blames the
hand of ISI and washes its hands!  The neighbouring country seems to be all
powerful to do what it pleases right in the heart of India and the
government of this great country seems to be saying that it is helpless!
I'm glad that person like you, so far away from this great country are
interested in our affairs.  However, the solution to us, on the spot does
not seem to be to blame the Constitution and change it, but rather force the
Government to do its duty of upholding the Constitution.  All that is needed
is a political will to do something and stop the goons in politics from
taking the country to ransom.
Francis.