Urdu/hindi

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Tue Sep 5 00:21:45 UTC 2000

May I present examples of what is considered to to be
the work of the oldest "Urdu" poet, Amir Khusro Dehlavi
(1253-1325 AD)

Saawan bhaadon bahut chalat hai
Maagh poos mein thodi,
Amir Khusro yun kahay,
Tu boojh paheli mori.

 It moves mostly in the months of Savan and Bhadon,
 Not much in Magh and Poos;
 So says Amir Khusro,
 You solve this riddle of mine. (Ans: mori)

Apni chhab banaikay, jo main pi kay paas gayi
Chhab dekhi jab piyu ki so apni bhool gayi.

 With my beautiful face all adorned, when I went to the beloved,
 I saw his face, and forgot all about my own beauty.

More can be found at:

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/urdumedia/index.html
http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~malaiya/khosrow.html

Take a look at the chronological list of Urdu poets:
http://www.urdustan.com/adeeb/

Note that the term "Urdu" did not come into existance
until Shahjehan built his fort in Delhi in 1645.
It was Wali Dakkhani (1668-1741) who brought modern
Urdu poetry to Delhi from Deccan.

Yashwant