Words (was: Re: SV: SV: SV: Kinship systems)

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 29 12:16:43 UTC 2000

>The parallel I was seeking was the term Renaissance, the cultural
>florescence in Italy during 14th to 16th centuries. but the term itself
>became popular only in the late 18th century, long after the events.

It may be of interest that in Tamil "renaissance"
was rendered as "maRumalarcci" long ago. Done by RasikamaNi
TKC whose role was important in making Bharatanatyam
popular. Rukmini Devi had her KuRavanji dance in his
bungalow first. TKC also translated "culture" as
"paNpATu".

Is it Tagore who coined "kalAsAram" to mean "culture"?
To get an account of (tech) english vocabulary coinages
in Sanskrit, it is better to see it in high Hindi, Telugu, ...
duurdarshan = tolaikkATci, aakaashvaani = vaa_noli,
pager = akavi, WWW = vaiyavalai, vaiya-viri-valai,
internet = iNaiyam, ....

Regards,
V. Iyer

PS: The words, "caivam" and vaiNavam" appear in Tamil
texts several centuries before British entered India.