SV: SV: SV: Kinship systems

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 28 18:36:59 UTC 2000

In a message dated 10/28/2000 4:39:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK writes:

> As far as I can see these words are the Tamil translations of the English
>  words Saivism and Vaishnavism. But the Tamil texts themselves were unaware
>  of 'ism's.

I would appreciate if Vijayaraghavan could clarify the above statement. I
would like to know if he is saying:

1. That Hindu sectarian divisions did not exist in the Tamil society before
the advent of the British?

2. Or if they did, they could not have coined these terms to identify these
sects.

3. If his contention is that they could not have coined these terms, what are
the linguistic/sociological/religious reasons?

4. What were the Tamil terms that Tamils used to refer to these sects?

When he says, "As far as I can see...", is it based on any specific textual
evidence? I would appreciate if he could give the source texts for this
statement.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
S. Palaniappan