OUTLOOK on Rajaram's Fraud & Fantasy

Sat Oct 28 18:21:20 UTC 2000

A short version of Steve Farmer's and my paper on Rajaram's & Jha's
'decipherment' of the Indus script and the inherent Piltdown Horse has just
now appeared in the Indian news magazine OUTLOOK (Nov. 6)

http://www.outlookindia.com/20001106/features3.htm

-- hardly a "communist rag", as some have called the bearer of our first
communication, FRONTLINE:

http://www.indiaserver.com/frontline/2000/09/30/
(NB: watch out for Rajaram's answer and for some more discussion
forthcoming in Frontline!)

However, the Outlook editors have made a few small changes, one serious.
They have added:

"(In other words, the prevalence of the horse will disprove the
  commonly-accepted theory that the speakers of Indo-Aryan came from
outside and were
  responsible for the disintegration of the Indus Civilisation.)"

I had advised them to change that addition to:

"(The prevalence of the horse would disprove the commonly-accepted theory
that the
speakers of Indo-Aryan ("Aryans") came from outside; however,
archaeologists no longer maintain that they were also responsible for the
disintegration of the Indus civilization.) "

But, it must have slipped past the editors. Oh well, one more (wrongly
attributed) quote to live with!  Apparently, Wheeler's "Indra stands
accused" is firmly ensconsed in the minds...

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:  http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs