SV: SV: SV: Kinship systems

V.C.Vijayaraghavan vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK
Sat Oct 28 09:43:45 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "RM. Krishnan" <poo at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN>
To: <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 4:17 PM
.
> Karthikai theepam is declining gradually. Why festivals? Even our own
> Dravidian religions of Saivam and VaiNavam have been subsumed/ submerged
> into the so-called Hindu religion/ SanAthana Dharma) .

Can you tell me when do the words "Saivam"   and  "VaiNavam" occur in the
Tamil literature. For example do they occur in the Prabhandam or Nayanmar
works itself? or do they occur much later?

As far as I can see these words are the Tamil translations of the English
words Saivism and Vaishnavism. But the Tamil texts themselves were unaware
of 'ism's. But still it would be interesting to know when do these two words
in the sense of 'isms's appear in the Tamil texts