FIREMAND POSTMAN CHERRY, etc.

André Signoret sanskrit at CLUB-INTERNET.FR
Fri Oct 27 13:52:09 UTC 2000

Bonjour,

First of all, congratulations for your French. I am not far from thinking
like you about "making" new words.
We are therefore condemned (but it is a pleasure !) to paraphrase our modern
words in a MODERN to ANCIENT dictionary like mine.
For instance : "Snail without shell" or "naked snail" for a "slug",
"A person who puts out a fire" for a "fireman", etc.
I gathered from somewhere (I think it was in the British Encyclopaedia)that
a number of indianists in India tried to modernize Sanskrit. Is it a
freakish idea or reality ?

Anyhow, it is very frustrating to let a series of words outside the scope of
a dictionary ! Sanskrit already has over 1,200,000 words (compounds
included). It can survive in spite of a few additions !

BTW did ancient Indians ignore the word "cherry" in spite of the fact that
Japanese have known it through centuries ?

Thank you very much with Regards.

André.