Regarding indology and intuitive knowledge

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 25 16:43:43 UTC 2000

Here are some speculations about speech. There is nothing religious, for
linguistic purposes only.

chAndogya upaniSat says:

gAyatrIvA idam sarvam bhUtam yadidam kiGca
vAgvai gAyatrI
vAgvA idam sarvam bhUtam gAyatica trAyateca

gAyatri is indeed is all these beings that are here,
speech indeed is gAyatri,
speech indeed protects all these that are here by singing and protecting.

To this Adi Sankara comments (wording is mine):
When some one is afraid, speech (probably of oneself or of an elderly
person) says "This is only a cow, or horse, what is there to be afraid of?"
and comforts the person.

(People find comfort in speaking about their problem with other people.)

V.C.Vijayaraghavan writes..

>I may also add that in the Tamil popular conception throat viz 'nenju' also
>occupies the place of justice, equity, fairness, etc.

>There are common expressions like Nenjukku needhi i.e a cry for justice, or
>'Nenju ketkavillai' which literally means Throat did not accept it which is
>  understood to be 'I felt something unfair and monstrous'

If we apply this tamilian phrase "crying for justice" to chAndogyA, we get a
social interpretation of gAyatri. People protect themselves by crying foul
or crying for justice. Doesn't this explain all these musings we had last
one month? I see it is indeed gAyatrI at work. People are protecting
themselves by shouting and crying out.

Now extend this logic to individual living cells in the body (the Aurobindo
way) you get the pathological definition of speech. When any of the living
cells in the body get hurt, speech cries out.

Conversely any sensation in somatic nervous system represents a "problem"
that a person is experiencing at that time. These "problems" may not be the
known problems one is really aware of, they may be mostly problems that were
stacked up since childhood (Freudian) or since previous births(Hindu way) or
other inexpressible problems (because Veda says at many places that speech
has four parts and only one of the four parts is audible speech).

I only explained one verse from chAndogyA. Other verses talk of gAyatri as
heart etc. We can take up later if necessary. But relation of this symbol
gAyatrI to speech is the most important one because speech is the "first"
form gAyatri assumes if there is a problem.

gAyatrI is also connected to or counted among the vasUs for some reason I
don't remembr. AB says "vasUs are indeed that bind everything here". This
also has many implications for psychology and linguistics. The speech is a
vasu because the lower jaw tightly binds to the upper jaw. Heart is also a
vasu because it tries to keep the integrity of the body by balancing blood
flows to wherever necessary. You can find parallels of binding forces in
nuclear physics if you like.

Hope you enjoyed reading.