"Science" in India

Ramalingam Shanmugalingam AppuArchie at NETZERO.NET
Tue Oct 24 06:44:04 UTC 2000

The current mudslingers might like to know an Indian view point on Science
in India:

[Anna's portrait of present day Tamilworld {as illustrated by Nandivarman]:

"There is no other country that neglects science as this country. Here I am
in front of a microphone and when I speak the loudspeaker amplifies my
speech in all directions and makes it audible for many to hear.
Just try and explain how the loudspeaker works! Find out how the Meddur Dam
was constructed! Despite its heaviness explain how the ship floats! Tell
them how the aeroplane flies! Or any scientific phenomenon!
Tamils will not show surprise. Wonder in these will not become manifest.
They may listen for a short time and soon forget these wonders. Confidence
in and value of the power of wonder are absent in them.

They have no respect for science. Because they have not toiled hard to
invent scientific devices. If, my father invented the pencil; my brother
invented the atom bomb, the radio by my grandfather, and electricity by my
ancestors, then the full worth will be significant. The sleepless nights,
ignoring oppositions; unmindful of   people poking fun and their
condemnations; fearless of the dangers; without any thought to such
conditions as confusion, blindness, deformity, Westerners have given so much
thought and worked hard to develop devices. That is why westerners praise
science; it is worthy of their admiration; their respect for science is
profound. But Tamils did not suffer to invent devices. Is there gain without
pain? As a result names of inventors of devices such as the aeroplane do not
jump out. Names of men behind the train do not stir any memory. Science in
this country is an exercise in futility. Like snow in the desert, dangling a
pearl necklace in front of the blind, music to the deaf, science commands no
respect.

A valuable commodity losing its value is not good. Students must work hard
to give science its respectability. Students should go out to the people and
remove the taint from their minds. Before lecturing on science, help the
people to remove any unwanted dross and teach the power of reasoning. It is
then people will understand things clearly and value knowledge, give up
spiritual ignorance, trust in truth, and abandon fallacy."]

Excerpts from my interpretation of a speech by Nandivarman on the Late
'aRignar' - Learned C. N. Annadurai- Founder and a former Chief Minister of
Tamil Nadu at http://www.eelamnation.com> under KNOWLEDGE.