Quality Intellect

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Sat Oct 21 23:45:08 UTC 2000

In a message dated 10/21/00 11:26:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK writes:

> I'm sorry, but no.  I founded this list with the explicit idea that it was
>  for people who had quality intellects AND had used them for six or more
>  years in the full-time study of Indian history and culture.
>
>  Less-qualified people are welcome to lurk, but not to post, especially on
>  topics they feel passionate about.

Perhaps the whole list is familiar with the old proverb that distinguishes
between the wise man and the fool.  Well, you can explain a point to a fool
10,000 times, and without fail he will continue to miss it, whereas a wise
man will need to be told only 1,000 times.

By my unofficial count, we are about to reach the point where we will be
easily able to distinguish the wise from the fools, at least when it comes to
this one point:

To repeat Dominik's point yet again [nearing 1,000 times, by my unofficial
count]: this list is intended for trained Indologists.  If you are not one,
you should be lurking, and not flooding the list with your unconsidered or
poorly considered but no doubt passionate views.

As Steve Farmer's recent post confirms, there are other e-mail lists where
your unconsidered or poorly considered but nevertheless passionate views, or
even your hate-filled religious and political views, if indeed you have them
[and if you are fools you will surely have them], will be not only welcomed
but encouraged and even celebrated.  So please for your own sakes join those
lists, attack Indology and celebrate India as the cradle of all civilization
without any serious objections whatsoever from any scholars of any kind
whatsoever.  Please do.  Why waste your own time, never mind ours?

Good luck to you all.

George Thompson

.