arguments and cultural conditioning

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 20 10:59:13 UTC 2000

A.B. Keith made a good observation about east and west. He said that the
constant struggles Europeans had to face in daily life (average life
expectancy  was 35 years) made them a little more closer to reality, whereas
the Indians were behind the protective wall of Himalayas and had time to
develop a culture with imagination (wording is mine).

Put it in terms of mANDUkyA upaniSat, westerners have a little more of vizva
(peer awareness etc), whereas easterners have a little more of taijasA (you
know the examples). Again, this is not branding or stereo-typing. Every one
has all three qualities vizva, taijasa and prajna in different proportions,
and it also depends on person to person.

There is a need to understand our own nature, and treat it as an asset
instead of liability. We can make productive use of it instead of taking it
to extreme (extreme realism or extreme imagination), or criticising others'
nature because it doesn't suit us.