SV: Classical languages of India

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 20 10:56:32 UTC 2000

--- Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan <Palaniappa at AOL.COM>
wrote:

> I have now found a virtual smoking gun pointing to a
> direct connection
> between Tamil and Prakrit traditions.

<snip>
> One of them is "iLantiraiyam" and the
> other is "cAtavAkan2am".
> The first one was named after the king
> "iLantiraiyan" of Kanchi. The second
> one was named after one "sAtavAhana". Both works are
> lost now. (kaLaviyal
> urai lists tolkAppiyam as an example of a text named
> after the author.)

Although I don't know if it significantly alters your
conclusions, I wonder if you have read the paper
titled " zAtavAhana kings in ancient Tamilnadu" by A
Kamatchinathan of Annamalai University. (I have
misplaced my copy but I remember faxing a copy to
someone on the list).

The paper proposes a Munda origin for the Satavahanas
and argues for Satavahana origin of certain Tamil
kings like the atiyamAn's of takaTUr. Support for this
theory is also adduced by way of certain
representative Munda loans in Tamil incl such
commonplace words like that for "tender coconut".
Explanation for commissioning of works such as the
"cAtavAkanam" and for issuing of Tamil bilingual coin
etc is then developed as a natural corollary.

Thanks and Warm Regards,

LS