Virtual Reality and Fantasy

Sun Oct 15 22:11:46 UTC 2000

As a member of that much derided group of engineers and scientists, it feels
somewhat strange to mention this on this list. It seems to me that the
internet bug has bit a number of our list members very badly. Points are
being "proved" on all sides of all arguments, based on what is written on
some website or the other. It doesn't take more than one person, with a
computer and a little time on his hands, to generate an internet site of a
moderate size. There seems to be absolutely no need to assume that a small
group of people is somehow representative of entire populations. There is
also an intrinsic contradiction in being skeptical because someone is prone
to hyperbole, and simultaneously taking it absolutely seriously, when he or
she lays claim to vast political influence through friends in high places.
In such cases, it seems impossible to determine who is living a fantasy.

Vidyasankar