SV: SV: SV: Kinship systems

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 13 14:34:42 UTC 2000

--- "V.C.Vijayaraghavan" <vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
> In any case Idangai/valngai has the merit of
> being self-referrents and hence better candidates for ethnicity - and not
> something imposed by "outsiders" to the system.

I do not know how the Tamil classification, not found in any other
language groups, of "Idangai/valngai" will be "better candidates for
ethnicity". In India or elsewnhere in the world, it is not used in academia.
Does anyone advocate this?

By the way, there is nothing wrong in something good coming from
outside and using it. For example, human flight machines - though
"brihad-vimAna-shastrams" tell us that planes were invented in
India.