Weekly Holiday

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Oct 12 09:12:23 UTC 2000

What a nice idea.  It would raise the tone considerably.  But it's quite
impossible to implement this kind of procedure for the INDOLOGY list; but
if individuals wish to take this line, that's great.

It reminds me of one of my favourite essays on critical writing, a short
epilogue to _Studies in Words_ by C S Lewis.  I don't have the passage to
quote exactly, but Lewis says that if you are reviewing a terrible book on
a subject you hate by an author you despise, you can always write your
slashing review now, and put it to one side.  A quiet reading later on may
make it easy to decide to throw it in the bin.

(I see I mentioned this book to the list five years ago!)

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.