soma/haoma: was Re: booknotice (occasioned by Civility on the List:

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Wed Oct 11 12:48:27 UTC 2000

Jan Houben is certainly right to question any book that treats soma/haoma
without taking into account the ephedra theory.

Stephen Hodge is certainly right to remind us of the worthy book of Flattery
and Schwartz which tackles the Iranian side of the problem.

I look forward to the publication of the proceedings of last year's
soma/haoma workshop in Leiden, at which Harry Falk and Victor Sarianidi, two
advocates of the ephedra theory, gave reports.  Along with the other reports,
the proceedings of this workshop will tell us where we now stand on
soma/haoma.

In my view, the ephedra theory needs to be re-examined. Many questions remain
unanswered, at least in my mind.

Best wishes,

George Thompson